Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Have You Got the "Goods"?

Tonight we talked about Paul's bragging rights and the brownie points he'd earned before coming to know Christ personally.

Philippians 3:4-9 - 4though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless. 7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

We took some time to brainstorm and write our own lists of "goods"...what we're good at, what good character qualities we have, what we believe makes us good. Paul calls these things rubbish and so that's exactly how we treated our lists once finished. We crumpled them up and set them on fire before putting them where they belong...in the trash.

We talked about how good works and good character qualities are great and often times a sign of a right relationship with Jesus, but they are not a guarantee for our salvation. As believers, the only good in our hearts is Jesus Christ. In the end, it's not the fact that we're good friends, loving, caring, understanding, good at art, pretty, or great at sports that counts. That's just, as Pastor Billy pointed out Sunday, POOP! It's all about Jesus guys!