Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Neverending Story

Since Pastor Mike finished the book of Acts last Sunday, we talked today about how the story was not really finished for Paul.  Paul persevered in telling everyone he came into contact with about the gospel, even if they were people who Paul knew would persecute him.  We looked at some of the things Paul suffered during his lifetime as one of Christ's disciples as well.

2 Cor. 11:24-28 - Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one.  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones ,three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

All of the youth are now back in school.  School is a battleground, as most of us witnessed in the "To Save A Life" movie.  Though none of the youth will ever likely suffer the things Paul did, they will have other things they'll face and choices they'll have to make while in school.  There's peer pressure, dealing with friends, gossiping, trouble with parents, worrying about grades, bullies, materialism, vanity.  And the list goes on.

Paul was armed with the truth and that's what kept him going.  We have that same truth.  To make sure we have our artillery ever at the ready, we made Scripture card packets tonight with lots of Scriptures covering all of the topics listed above.  The packets are small enough to be kept inside bookbags, lockers, or even pockets and will hopefully be a constant reminder for the kids to look to the One who has all of the answers when they are faced with the daily challenges that go along with school.

Paul has been an awesome example to us throughout our study of the book of Acts.  Let us all practice what he preached, walk the walk, and be CONTRANORMAL!